Thursday, April 25, 2024

Amish Trivedi on Jerry Rothenberg at Jacket2

As I noted in
this week's tribute to the late Jerry Rothenberg, we were honored to publish his "Poems and Poetics" commentary series at Jacket2 since our launch in 2011. Jerry's partner and technical liaison in that endeavor since 2008 was Amish Trivedi, who has penned a moving and illuminating memorial detailing their long collaboration. While I made mention of this in Monday's note, I wanted to highlight the piece on its own because our listeners will definitely appreciate spending a little time with it.

I'll admit I chuckled a little when I read about the decision to join us in our new publishing endeavor:
I told him at the time that I thought the whole blog thing was dying, that we had all slowed down on Blogger, and that with the Buffalo List seemingly on fumes at that point, Ron Silliman having slowed as well, and social media booming, the age of the poetry blog was winding down. Did we want to move to Jacket2's new thing just to watch it all end? "Of course!" Jerry shouted into the phone. There was a crackling sound as the receiver hit its max volume and the audio broke slightly. I didn't argue — just agreed. Whatever Jerry was up to, I wanted in.
And needless to say, we are grateful for Jerry's enthusiasm and everything that's followed! Later, after lamenting their distant friendship, Trivedi shares a luminous memory of seeing Rothenberg read in person:
We had been lucky to run into each other a few times in person over the years, despite entire books of the Americas of our own in the middle. I was doing an MFA and a PhD and adjuncting and broke but there was always an invite on every call to visit Encinitas. Thankfully, the last year I was in person doing my PhD, we managed to get Jerry out for a couple of nights to do a reading and interview to Normal, Illinois. Watching him read to a packed room after a few glasses of wine, all of us sweaty and tired on an April night, is going to be a happy memory a lot of us get to carry forward.
As I say, anyone mourning the loss of Jerry Rothenberg will take solace from Trivedi's remembrance. Click here to read it in its entirety.